Urban Tech News Roundup - 11/7
Register for our upcoming Urban Tech Summit
The Built Environment
- Why Airbnb is more competitive than Uber. Fortune
- Commercial landlords will play a large role in the future of innovation. VTS Blog
- Tech-enabled appraisal startup Bowery partners with Cushman and Wakefield to change how buildings are valued.
- A guide to smart buildings for CRE owners.
- How technology is changing the workplace and the nature of work itself. CRE.tech
Urban Planning and Government
- Cities and suburbs are becoming more similar. Bloomberg
- A new study shows that larger cities are more resilient to the unemployment spurred by AI and robotics. MIT
- Why cities are working with businesses to fight food waste. CityLab
- Saudi Arabia's $500B fantasy of a utopian megacity. CityLab
- Urban planning and the great horse manure crisis of 1894. 99% Invisible
- What UNESCO means to US cities. CityLab
Energy and Natural Resources
- A federal report shows that it is "extremely likely" that humans cause climate change.
- NY Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced that NY Green Bank seeks to raise at least an additional $1 billion in private sector funds to expand financing availability for clean energy projects.
- Tiny African nation Cape Verde will run on 100% renewable energy by 2025. QZ
- The geopolitical implications of renewable energy.